We have been working all day now, and except for some starting issues we are now gaining momentum. We still haven’t made anything runnable but a lot of the core functionality of the engine is in place. We basically only need to complete the rendering system and add some placeholder scripts to have a running prototype. Our writer has made a first draft for the beginning of the game and our UI and gameplay sketches looks pretty nice. I’m going to bed now but two of the others will continue. Hopefully they’ll have something nice to show in the morning.
PS. Pic related.
Long time, no post. As you may have guessed, Project Duck was put on the shelf for a while. We simply had too much in school and lost momentum on he project. This week however we are on Easter leave which means a lot of free time. We decided to have a programming marathon and create a new game. We have set up our “game studio” in the basement of one of my friends. The idea is to work Monday to Wednesday or Thursday and try to create a point and click adventure game.
We are three programmers, two of us whom also will do some graphics and sound, and one designer. We have only been working for a few hours now and are still working on the very basics of the game engine. I will try to post updates a few times a day here on our progress and hopefully include materials, either screenshots or working demos. Keep an eye out for more info.
I’m back! After over two weeks without internet I’ve finally worked through my backlog of emails and other compulsory tasks. A new semester has started and I’m really looking forward to taking almost double the normal credits thanks to a combination of me failing last semester and the rich collection of courses to choose from.
I had some discussions with my fellow programmers on project Duck during the weekend. We admit that we have been lacking progress and while we can’t really make any promises since we all have a lot to do, we are very keen on getting work done and hopefully release something playable later this spring.
During my Christmas break I didn’t manage to stay away from development completely. A friend of mine requested a program for our LAN party which we had two weeks ago. The idea was to have one computer with speakers plugged in running a jukebox system so that everyone could choose songs. I solved the problem by creating a simple media player in C# which hosted a web interface from which anyone could upload songs to the server which then was added to the play queue. It was an interesting project because even though being a rather simple program it involved several topics including networking, audio and multi-threading. The program, named LAN Jukebox (creative, I know) can be found on GitHub.
I also have some smaller personal projects and ideas I would like to talk about, but I will get back to that later.
I’m alive! Tomorrow, after five exams in one week, I will finally be able to get my break over the Christmas. Three weeks without school. Oh, how I’ve longed for this. This will give me some well earned time to spend with my friends, some gaming and of course more programming. I have several interesting ideas which have piled up during the weeks. I wanted to list them here, wither for someone else to pick up or to get some feedback on what you guys think looks interesting. Enjoy!
This week we have been working on implementing basic functionality into the engine. The first challenge was to figure out exactly how the physics engine works and how to work with it. Creating basic boxes was straight forward but when we came to the issue of terrain we had to consider several possibilities. How do we store terrain data? Should we create models and use or do we generate them from height data. Since the physics engine had methods to handle height maps we went with the latter. Today we implemented a camera system which uses ray casting to prevent the view from being obscured by an item in front of the player. This means that as soon as an object covers the player, the camera will zoom in past the object. The way this is done is that a ray is cast (hence the name) from the players location towards the supposed location of the camera. If it hits anything on the way, we place the camera there.
Almost two weeks ago some friends and I have started up a game programming project under the name Project Duck. I didn’t want to write anything about it until I knew if it was going to get anywhere but today the first runnable test was pushed to the trunk and therefore I’m going to start write about the project as it goes along in this developer blog. I would like to start off with outlining the project’s members and goals.
As a part of cleaning up this site for the new version I am moving some stuff to external services.
The first step of this was to upload the code for an old game I made, Watch out for the Curve!, to GitHub. The game is a clone of a really old game called Achtung Die Kurve! which I used to play a lot at school with my friends. A few years ago I made this clone using C# and XNA. Now I finally found the code again and put everything on GitHub for anyone to use.
The project is hosted on GitHub. Feel free to download the game and/or the code and do whatever you want with.
Jag har tillsammans med två fransmän och en annan kille startat upp ett litet programmeringsprojekt som just nu går under namnet PHP MPQ. Målet är att skapa PHP-tillägg och bibliotek för att hantera och bearbeta Blizzards MPQ-filer, speciellt repriser och banor från Starcraft 2.